Belatedly rounding out last week’s discussion of the first reason to join the RES PTA — our special community — how do we plug in to this community when we are all so busy? Many RES families have both parents working outside the home in demanding, interesting careers. Even if you have the time to think about volunteering, all the jobs sound so demanding or confusing — and the meetings are hard to attend, no matter how flexible your schedule may be. And in an era where fathers are eager to take on equal parenting duties and responsibilities, how do they tap into a community that is heavy on the SAHM vibe?
Our RES PTA is working on ways to include all families in our RES community. We have major programs that are run on weekends and evenings (stay tuned for features on some of our programs this week!), and we are working to ensure important information coming from our meetings (and usually a streaming video of the meeting) is available for those who can’t be there in person. But we are also hopeful families will want to join us in hands-on volunteering to support our work.
We know that not every parent can or wants to be involved in volunteering, though there is much to be said for the benefits of volunteering and for the volunteer base being diverse. But if you ARE looking for a way, big or small, to get involved, here’s some ideas:
- Contribute a case of water, a store-bought fruit salad, Costco cookies or paper goods for the staff appreciation lunches
- Work a 1 hour shift at the Artisan Fair bake sale — you can sell the stuff OTHER families bake, no pressure!
- Help check people in or distribute corsages at the Sweetheart Dance (one of the very cutest suggestions!)
- Give 1 hour during the late afternoon or evening for the Fall or Spring Book Fair
- Join a committee to work on one of our major projects like Imagine a World or the International Fair; you can share ideas via email and give an hour here and there, and your professional experience will be a huge benefit to these programs!
- Help organize an evening or weekend PTA family program like Family Game Night
- Offer your expertise for a guest blog on our PTA website or video on our FB page
- Give 1 late afternoon hour to help sort fundraiser orders when they arrive at RES
- Join our Ladies Night Out team to ask your favorite local businesses for auction items (you can check this off while you’re already at a restaurant or store you enjoy and would be at anyway!)
(Special thanks to working mom and PTA Treasurer Jen for some of these ideas!)
Do you have other suggestions for busy families to get involved? We’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment, discuss this post on Facebook or send us a message! And don’t forget to join our community and set up your 2017-2018 PTA membership at MySchoolAnywhere.com, using the code REDDINGELEMENTARY.